Shields House was built on the Old Guide Road south of Wiser Lake in 1885. It was the second building moved to Pioneer Park in 1950 by the Whatcom Old Settlers Association. The two-story Shields house is a monument to craftsmanship of the early pioneers and specifically to Conrad Shields who constructed the house.
Cedar trees were cut down, bucked into the proper lengths, and pulled by three ox teams belonging to Shields and his neighbors. Each log, some thirty feet long were split and mortised and dovetailed so precisely that no nails are needed to hold them together. Weather boarding came from the old Shelter mill on Deer Creek, and the inside ceiling and wall lumber was hand split, hand dressed and tongue and grooved by hand until it looked like the millwork.
The house is furnished as it may have been years ago. The wicker lamp in the parlor dates to the 1920s and the wallpaper is thought to be from the 1940s. The dress displayed on the mannequin inside the house belonged to Mrs. Cora Shields.